You Are Reading

OUGD603: Brief 7 - Coffee Culture // Further Logo Development

Completing the logo for this project will allow me to move forward and start the rest of the identity project. As this is the main part of the brief, and it's important I get it right. 


The first logotype variation uses purely typography at different point sizes to establish a hierarchy within the logo, drawing attention to the central type, which displays the business' name. However, I do think the spacing is off on this version - the leading looks quite restricted. 


I implemented the fibonacci system, the golden ratio, on this logo to get the spacing, and it does look aesthetically pleasing, however, I still think it looks very restricted. 


Another logotype which is very basic. The type has been aligned in so aspects of the type above align with aspects of the type from below. However, as a whole the logo does not work for a coffee shop. 



You can see how the guides have been used to align the type.


A simple version of the logo - again, it doesn't really hit me as a coffee shop at all. It needs something in there which resinates coffee, a symbol or something. 


The existing logo uses a triangle to contain an illustration, I tried to add the triangle to the logotype to work as a symbol. I'm not sure this works however, once again, it doesn't really resinate coffee.


Following some experimentation, seen in a previous post, using Latte Art. Arching the type above the  font in a smaller point size, which established hierarchy. At this point there's no reason to really arch the type, as it's not over something which the type needs to clear, and there's nothing to mirror it, which would balance the type. 


Adding a second layer of type below the name with some additional info mirrors the top text, balancing the type. Which makes the design more aesthetically pleasing. 


I then tried removing the warp, to see how it looked - and in fact, I think it looks better, much cleaner and simpler. Although I'm not sure which works the best for the brand. I'm going to organise and impromptu crit. 



Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.