You Are Reading

OUGD603: Brief 7 - Coffee Culture // Logotype and Symbol Analysis

I'm planning on redesigning the logo for Coffee Culture as part of it's collateral, however, to do this I need to make sense of the existing logo. It ended up taking a while to even figure out what It was, let alone break it down for analysis.


I actually have to message a friend, who is from York and has visited Coffee Culture a vast amount more than myself - she also did art, which is probably why she could figure it out, and I couldn't.

"If you just look in the black square you'll see a tiny dot for an eye, and a profile of a woman's face and then you'll see the sleeve and a super sketchy tiny cup of coffee." - Hermione Crowe (textiles student at Manchester)


I crudely tried to illustrate this in photoshop, to demonstrate what it is - it's fairly obvious now, but I had no idea previously. I was worried it might be a symbol which I wasn't familiar with, and ignoring it might alienate the identity too much. However, it just looks like a print which has been seconded as the company symbol. 

The triangle around the print could mean something deeper - some occultists use the triangle as a summoning symbol. At the culmination of a ritual, the desired being is expected to appear within a triangle inscribed upon the floor. The occultist often performs his ritual from the protection of a circle.

However, I'm not sure the spiritual context really works with the existing identity of the brand. The brand itself has a very homemade, rustic and independent feel - not that of a cult, despite the name. 

Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.